Even though I thoroughly enjoy eating healthy, I also LOVE a sweet treat! My go-to is basically anything with DARK CHOCOLATE & ALMOND BUTTER in it, so I thought I would research a healthy alternative to a classic BLONDIE recipe. I found one on Pinterest that I tweaked a bit & must say it was quite satisfying!
Check out the healthier BLONDIE recipe below & be prepared to be amazed at how good these sweet treats are 🙂
DARK CHOCOLATE ALMOND BUTTER BLONDIES: Adapted from the Ambitious Kitchen
- 1/2 cup Red Lentils
- 1/2 cup All-Natural Almond Butter (I used Crunchy. Make sure the only ingredient is ALMONDS!)
- 1/3 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 cup Oat Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic or Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/3 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (at least 70% or darker), plus a handful for sprinkling on top
In a small saucepan, combine lentils and 1 cup of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are soft. Transfer lentils to a food processor, add a few tablespoons of water, then process until lentils are a smooth puree; set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9×9 inch baking pan with coconut oil spray.
Whisk oat flour, baking soda & salt in a bowl. Set aside.
In a large bowl or electric mixer, mix together almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth. Add in lentil puree and mix until well combined.
Fold in oat mixture then gently fold in 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool & inhale! 😉
Benefits of some of the above ingredients!
- Lentils: Are packed with protein, fiber, minerals & vitamins which helps lower blood cholesterol, reduces risk of heart disease, increases gut health, & stabilizes blood sugar.
- Almond Butter: Almonds are jam-packed with vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber, iron, & healthy fats.
- Oat Flour: Is a better option than unbleached white flour because it is gluten-free, has protein, fiber, minerals, B Vitamins, iron, vitamin E, & calcium. Oats are known to aid in heart health, lowering the risk of Type 2 diabetes by balancing blood sugars & lowering cholesterol.
- Pure Maple Syrup: Is loaded with the powerful antioxidants, Polyphenols, that helps reduce the risk of inflammatory diseases. Maple syrup is a natural sweetener that releases into the blood stream slower than processed sugars, so the blood sugar is balanced. It also reduces bloat, is high in zinc, iron, calcium, potassium & manganese,
- Dark Chocolate: Can help lower your blood pressure by improving blood flow, helps reduce risk of stroke, helps control blood sugar, is full of antioxidants, vitamins, & minerals. Dark chocolate is also known to release endorphins in the brain to make you happier