I can’t believe it’s already that time of the year again! The endless Holiday get togethers, shopping, and of course, EATING! There can be a lot of stress, a lot of to-do’s, and a lot of opportunities to make poor choices when it comes to your diet and exercise program. I wanted to share a few tips to help get you through the Holidays without gaining weight. That way you can have a New Year’s Resolution that doesn’t involve diets or two-a-days!
Healthy Holiday Tips
- Never go to a Holiday Party STARVING! Try eating a healthy snack before to avoid going crazy at the buffet.
- Make sure you eat healthier, lighter meals for a few days prior to a Holiday get together. That way you won’t feel guilty if you do indulge a bit!
- Don’t deprive yourself. If you want to have some dessert or a richer dish, allow yourself to have a small taste. Just load up the majority of your plate with fruits, veggies, whole grains & lean proteins.
- Choose a smaller plate if available.
- Remember beverages, especially alcoholic &/or sweet ones, can contain a lot of hidden calories. Consume in moderation!
- Drink plenty of WATER throughout the day. Sometimes when you feel hungry you are actually just dehydrated.
- Make it a PRIORITY to try to maintain your same exercise and daily routine as best you can.
- If you are attending a potluck, bring a healthier option that you know you will eat. There are plenty of healthier recipe options out there for popular holiday dishes.
- Stop eating before you actually feel full. Wait 10-15 minutes and see if you are still hungry.
- Don’t be afraid to be high maintenance! If you know you can’t control yourself, eat before you go to a party or bring your own dish.
- Be Mindful & Present when you are eating. Sometimes you are so immersed in talking with someone that you don’t realize you have eaten way more than you had intended to.
- Chew your food more than you normally do. That not only helps breakdown the food for proper digestion, but you usually eat a lot less.
- Take a Digestive Enzyme, followed by a daily Probiotic & Magnesium Oxygen for regularity!