Have you ever heard of a dry brush before? As I started getting more into yoga and natural healing remedies, I heard about this detoxifying method and FINALLY decided to give it a try about a month ago. I was stunned by the results and totally wish I would have started doing this years ago because it really works!! (Especially on CELLULITE!) So how does it work?
First off, our skin is the largest and one of the most important elimination organs in the body. The skin is responsible for ridding an average adult body of over one pound of acidic waste each and every day! The skin is the last organ to receive nutrients in the body, but as we know, the first to show signs of an internal imbalance (acne, rashes, wrinkles, dark under eye circles), so we need to take care of it. Dry Brushing can help aid in the detoxification process of the skin, as well as the liver, kidneys, lungs, gut, lymphatic system and mucous membranes. Here are a few of the wonderful benefits of dry brushing:
- Diminishes the Appearance of Cellulite: Cellulite is partially hereditary, but Dry Bushing partnered with a healthy diet rich in fresh fruits, veggies and grains (quinoa, flax seed, millet, etc) as well as exercise, will lead you to see results like never before! The toxic deposits of fat and tissue that have accumulated over the years will be broken up by the skin brushing and sent off to be removed by the elimination organs. I actually felt the detoxing effects after the first few days of Dry Brushing, so make sure you are eating clean, drinking lots of water and sweating out those nasty toxins! My thighs are smoother, firmer and softer than they have ever been before because the Dry Brushing removes dead skin layers as well as increases the blood flow which in turn, tones the muscles and tightens the skin!
- Cleanses the Lymphatic System: The Lymphatic System is part of our immune system and brings cells essential nutrients as well as removes their wastes. All detoxification occurs first and foremost through the lymph, so Dry Brushing will help speed up the process of toxin elimination and boost our ability to fight colds and viruses.
- Improves the Function of the Nervous System: Nerve endings are stimulated through the process of Dry Brushing. The increased blood flow reduces stressed areas of the body and in turn, rejuvenates the nervous system.
- Helps Digestion: When you brush, the pores of your skin open allowing your skin to “breathe,” absorb nutrients and eliminate toxins. The digestive organs are directly affected in a positive way and are able to work more efficiently.
These are just a few of the amazing benefits of Dry Brushing! So let’s get into what you need to buy as well as the simple process!I purchased this brush by Yerba Prima at Whole Foods, but any brand with these kind of bristles will work. You can also find it online at: http://www.amazon.com/Yerba-Prima-Tampico-Brush-1xBRUSH/dp/B00016RIIA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376838731&sr=8-3&keywords=dry+brush
- Start with your feet, moving in soft circular movements (always moving towards the heart) first on the bottom of the feet, and then on the top.
- Work up each leg, one at a time, first the back of the leg (using the same soft circular, always towards the heart, movements) up through the buttock and then the front of the leg. I usually spend a good three minutes on each side because that’s where my cellulite accumulates!
- After you are finished with the lower half, start at the fingertips of one arm; move up the arm (palms of hands, back of hands, forearm, biscep) and towards the heart. Repeat on other arm.
- Move to the back (this is where a short handled brush may come in handy) working your movements towards your stomach, starting and finishing with one side of the back and then the other.
- When you get to your stomach, start at your lower abdomen and work your way up (make sure to steer clear of delicate areas like the nipples) and end at your chest in an upward stroke.
- Rinse off and shower as normal. After I towel off, I apply a small amount of organic virgin coconut oil to the skin as it’s an amazing moisturizer with no chemicals!
I hope you decide to try this easy detoxifying method ASAP as I know you will be so happy with the results! 🙂